I was going to design a proper princess dress for Jane, but instead I ended up doing a bunch of modern designs instead. But I'm SO happy with the result, I couldn't care less! Designer Disney, Heroine style! Hey...Heroine Style...that would be a GREAT name for the line! Hmm...I must ponder this. ANYway!
I wanted to capture Jane’s personality, not just emulate the dresses she wears in the movie. I wanted softer yellow colors for the main theme. Not only to differentiate it from Belle’s dress but because I feel that Jane has a softer personality as well. The green isn’t just for the skirt she wears, but for the jungle she’s so fond of as well. The flowers are about her as a Victorian lady in the middle of the wild, a thing of beauty on her own…
Numbered 1, 2, 3 on the top row and 4, 5, and 6 on the bottom row:
1) The first design is inspired by the outfit she wears after meeting Tarzan, with the yellow blouse and green skirt. I really feel this is a great look on Jane, a perfect mix between her Victorian lifestyle at home and the life she makes in the jungle. The strings of pearls and flowers contrast each other, but also mesh quite nicely I think, and the pearls are draped like the jungle vines.
2) This design is based on the dress she wears when she arrives on the island, also during the kiss scene later on
As such, this dress is the more iconic one, even if she doesn't wear it as often, simply because the most noteworthy events happen while she's wearing it.
3) The third design was me really liking the gold theme. partly inspired by the yellow colors she seems to like to much, but also because it's very rich. Jane and her father are clearly anything but poor, so that's part of it. But while her father is a bit more on the flighty side, Jane seems more down to earth. Gold is rich, rare, beautiful, and pure, all things I think are perfect for Jane
4) This red dress is inspired by the outfit Jane wears once she's given up on the idea of being proper and wears mostly her red wrap skirt and pale pink chemise. The more morn fitting design matches the more risque outfit I think, but it's still elegant. Something Jane somehow manages to pull off the whole movie even when she's being silly or a klutz
5) This fifth dress is more inspired by the jungle than any of Jane's outfits, but I really really liked the rich color pallet the movie has! Right down to Red elephants and purple hippos, lol. It was as if the artists couldn't stand the idea of any grey in the film aside from the gorillas.
6) Inspired by Jane's hat. Yes. The explorer's hat she wears at the beginning, with the purple ribbon around it? that one
Though at the same time, these are colors much more likely to be seen on a Victorian woman in the springtime, so there is that as well
And that's that ^^ I don't think I'll be able to come up with 6 designs for all the ladies, there's so many characters... But I already have Esmeralda! Her dress snuck in after I did Jane's fourth design
P.S. I once wanted to be a fashion designer, back in middle school...apparently that hasn't entirely left
P.P.S. Here's the link to the thing on tumblr if you want to reblog: [link]